Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Best Thing to Happen to Electronic Music Since the 303..

As some of you may know, I am a huge electronic music geek. I have, at various points in my life, lived and breathed the stuff. I am currently experience a general resurgence in my music awareness and hunger that is resulting in considerable contributions to the coffers at Amazon.com. With the music very much in the forefront of my mind right now, I'd like to take this opportunity to direct my readership to what is, I believe, one of the greatest things to ever happen to electronic music.

Having been an electronic music geek for nearly 10 years now, and having spent thousands of dollars on obscure CDs and records, and having spent countless hours researching online, I have developed a generally adequate familiarity with the broad and beautiful expanse that is commonly called "electronic music." It's quite exhaustive actually, but electronic music is so expansive and varied, with a Byzantine system of genres and sub-genres, that I say my knowledge is only adequate. Now for the problem...

Despite my knowledge, I'm often dumbfounded when I'm asked to explain electronic music. How? How can I just explain the great expanses and intricacies of electronic music? How many days do you have free? It's an overwhelming task, and I used to not know where to begin. Now I do...

Now, if someone enquires about electronic music, one of the first things I do is direct them towards
Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music. Ignore the horrendously bad flash intro - once you get beyond it, you will find what is quite possibly the most exhaustive exploration of electronic music that I have discovered thus far. Ishkur, whoever he is, deserves your respect. The site clearly maps out every imaginable sub-genre of electronic music, from musique concrete to Rio funk, providing informed, intelligent, accurate, and witty commentary on each sub-genre, and providing anywhere from two to eight high quality audio samples exemplary of the genre. The maps show the growth and interaction of the sub-genres, and even demonstrates the chronology of things. It's all damn near perfect.

Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music can serve as an excellent way to introduce people to electronic music - I've witnessed its effectiveness - as it makes everything so transparent. It also makes an excellent resouce for seasoned veterans. Thanks to it's mapping and audio samples, I was able to recently make several educated purchases of early-80s electro-disco. Without Ishkur, I would likely have never found my way to the synthy-goodness that is Patric Cowley, or the metallic breakeyness that is Stakka and Skynet. Thank you Ishkur. Thank you for advancing the cause of crate-diggers and head-nodders everywhere.

2 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Zac said...

Don't be intimidated by the banter. Brenda - being a lit major with a gargantuan noggin - is a heavyweight when it comes to such debate, but it's all good natured.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger brenda said...

yeah, usually I just leave embarrassingly stupid comments on people's blogs...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home