Sunday, February 19, 2006

I'm so fed up, I'm moving to America...

...oh wait, I'm already there.

In the Bush era, many of those who, like myself, disagree with the policies of the administration, have occasionally fantasized about moving to Canada or Europe. However, with the recent Parisian riots, the Danish cartoon fiasco, Michael Chessman's antics, and my recent insights into shockingly racist European and Canadian anti-immigrant movements as discovered in a recent bout of blog-surfing, I am finding that I am increasingly pleased to be residing in a country that does have a tradition of multiculturalism and minority rights. So much so, in fact, that I think if I was living in Canada or Europe right now, I'd threaten to move to America.

I read the ugly things written by anti-immigration and "majority rights" advocates, and I am shocked. I read their descriptions of the so-called degenerate minority groups, and I cringe. I read diatribes against blacks, latinos, and Hmong, and then I look at the students in my own classroom and I see a complete incongruity. Viewpoints espoused by individuals such as those at the blogs I read - I won't mention or link them, as I don't want to give them any traffic - can only be the result of ignorance and fear. It's all shockingly ugly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home