Sunday, April 30, 2006

Travelblogue, Coachella 2006 06: Saturday Recap

So, what I saw, in whole or in part:

  • Joey Beltram
  • Collette (before I ran away screaming)
  • Derrick Carter (again, lackluster)
  • Ladytron (eh, alright-ish)
  • Carl Cox (this man is still around for a reason - he's good)
  • Franz Ferdinand (not as good as I'd expected, then better than I'd expected, all in the same set)
  • The Juan Maclean (hous-ey, techno-ey, electro-ey, vocodor-ey, theramin-ey, and all done by a live band)
  • Audio Bullys (tolerable, I suppose, but I still don't get why Goldenvoice booked them)
  • Daft Punk (absolutely massive and ear-bleedingly loud)
I also spent a fair amount of time in the "Oasis Dome," a smallish dome tent that looked like this on the interior:

That's a DJ in the fake tree there. Her music is what drew me into the tent. Unlike the music at the Sahara tent - which has, with the exception of some of its headliners, seldom strayed from unimaginative house - the music in the Oasis was varied and, well, engaging. Yes, this DJ was spinning tracks from across subgenres. She was also playing a lot of breakbeat-oriented stuff, ranging from '97-era "big beat" to the grime-esque breakbeat stuff of a few years back. Overall, it was pretty damn good, and I wouldn't have minded staying longer. But that wasn't the only attraction in the tent. I also saw this in the Oasis:

Yes, that's a mostly-naked, androgynous man doing the Cirque du Solei type thing in the middle of the Oasis Dome. It seemed there was some sort of formal organization to the madness in the Oasis Dome, with some sort of rave-acrobat troupe running the thing. There were some extremely scantily-clad "rave"-style female dancers on platforms and mingling with the crowd, and this fellow. For two five minute sessions he did full-on Cirque du Solei stuff with the cloth hanging from the ceiling, wrapping himself up in it and rolling around and manipulating things so to climb up and down. Not something I'd expected to see, and very cool.

Now it's off to bed for me. I'm afraid this is all I cam muster right now. More to follow, perhaps, tomorrow. We shall see...

2 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger brenda said...

I'm reading; I just don't have a lot of comments... except: You should go see Madonna today; she's usually good for some acrobats too.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Zac said...

Madonna conflicts with Mogwai. Not that I want to see Mogwai that much, but it'd be cool. And besides, 3/4 of the people at the festival are going to go see Madonna just to go see Madonna. Now that might be fine if she was playing at the main stage, but she's not. She's playing at the Sahara tent which, though the largest, is also the most remote on the festival grounds. Crowds going to and from the Sahara tent slow to worse than a crawl. Getting out of there last night after Daft Punk took 20 minutes (only to get in another 30 minute jam trying to get out of the main gate). Madonna's sure to create a situation as bad or worse. I'd be unlikely to even be able to get inside the tent. At best, I could watch through the back of the tent, where the sound is weak. In short, too many people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home