Sunday, May 07, 2006

Recent Purchases

Killing a little time in America's second-favorite mass-retailer, Target, I decided to buy a few CDs. Yes, I know, I should've bought 'em at an indie shop, but the indie shops around here are mediocre at best. Anyway, here are the spoils:
  • Tool, 10,000 Days - I never wanted to like Tool, but after watching them perform back in 1998, and being subjected to some forced exposure by my friends, I eventually had to acknowledge that despite their creepy and sophomoric imagery, they do make some damn good music. And really, progressive metal is a hard concept to disagree with - I do like my Opeth, after all... On this latest album, they deliver what is to be expected - lean, sprawling prog-metal of high quality, and laughably bad artwork that only a 15-year-old metalhead could dig. Buy the CD, ignore the packaging.
  • Wolfmother, Wolfmother - I bought this CD based on its overwhelmingly good press, a brief listening on the band's MySpace page, and the $10 price-tag. So far I'm pleased. Garaged-out Sabbath - quite a fun formula. And the Frazetta-ish artwork warms my heart.
There were also some non-music purchases. For the purpose of facilitating a spelunking trip this summer (a repeat of '04's most enjoyable outing), a quick jaunt to REI yeilded the following:
  • Black Diamond "Spot" headlamp - If you've never used a headlamp, you can't possibly conceive of how wonderful they are. They make spelunking infinitely more enjoyable, easier, and safer.
  • Some generic "multisport" gloves - Just some regular, synthetic-fiber gloves, with a slightly rubberized palm. They should hold up to the lava rock. And I was elated to find some XL gloves - it's amazing what a proper fit can do.

3 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Wardy said...

First time I heard Wolfmother I thought it was a bad would-be Led-Zep tribute. But now I've heard it a few times I still think that.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Zac said...

Wolfmother as a Led Zep and Sabbath tribute, Interpol as a Joy Division tribute. I still like the music, but why is all the rock music (with the exception of Bloc Party) to excite me (and the critics) as of late, explicitly derivitative of earlier bands and/or styles? I dig the music, but I'm a bit concerned about the trends. Who's willing to do something new? (That goes for those in dance music too...)

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Zac said...

And on another note, that absurd Tool packaging, with the "steroscopic" goggles, is already falling apart. It was already doing so in my 70-80 degree apartment, but the 100+ degrees of my parked car have done much to accelerate the deterioration of the glue. Freakin' absurd, say I...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home